Friday, November 12, 2010

Who cares about the rain? Lets run!

I have a new appreciation for running in the rain. A few days ago, I heard it thumping on the ground outside. While I sat on my couch listening to the rain, I was reminded of ancient times of war. To intimidate the people that were guarded behind high walls, the attacking army used to use the acoustics of the area and their loud chants to unnerve the people within. To me, the rain was the invading army, yelling its chants of evisceration with loud thuds on the outside decking and on the leaf covered ground.

"We're going to get you," it sounded like the rain was yelling. "Come on, it's only water," I kept telling myself. Yeah but it's cold outside and Dooby don't like to be cold. Wet, I can stand being wet, but cold, no. Then, there's wet and cold. That's where vision and grit kicked in for me and I said,"Yes, I'm going to shape this massive hunk of man into a lean endurance running machine, and yes, I'm going to have fun doing it even if it hurts." More than that, I never quit because it's just not in my genes.

I suddenly stood and faced the front door. "Lets go for it," I said to myself. I had my resolve. I quickly put on my running clothes and added an extra layer. I also put on my head lamp and strobe light, because it was dark outside and I wanted to be seem by on coming cars. After I filled my water bottle, out in the rain I went. I stood there for a moment talking to the storm. "I'm here, give me your best shot, because I love you. You will bless me and I you," I muttered. I had stretched in the house, so I was ready to rock some miles. I began to walk at a quick step so that I could set my mind to the 6.5 mile task, then began to run. The rain was coming down hard but after a moment, it really didn't matter. I saw rivers forming from the rain that fell, and puddles that I imagined were small lakes on a trail.

After a while I realized that I was the only nut out in the rain. Everything was wet and soggy, but I was in my element. I didn't really have to try hard to convince myself that I was having a good time, because well--I was. Now, I'm hardcore and I'll run even when ice covers my route, I'm ready. A major barrier to my success in becoming an endurance runner has been destroyed. The weather doesn't matter--only the vision, the focus, the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment